Ways to use pillows to decorate your living room
Looking for an easy way to add polish and personality to your living room? Both cozy and decorative, you can use throw pillows to instantly upgrade the comfort and style of your living space. Endless sizes, textures, colors and prints to choose from and options for every budget make pillows the perfect accessory to style your sofa (and all your living room furniture). Here are our top tips to choosing pillows to decorate your living room just the way you want it.
Mix and match textures
Putting pillows with different textures next to each other is a simple way to add depth and character to your living room decor. Here are a few of our favorite textures to play with:
- Fuzzy and fluffy – An ultra fuzzy pillow is warm and inviting while also adding a fashionable flair.
- Velvet – Pillows with a velvety finish add a decadently luxe vibe to your space without a hefty price tag.
- Cotton – A crisp and classic textile, cotton pillows are cozy and cool in every season.
- Embroidered – Embroidered pillows give your living room a crafty, artistic feel.
- Fringe – Fringe adds a fun and funky twist and another dimension of texture to your decor.
- Leather detailing – Leather detailing brings a chic and sophisticated air to your space.
Layer different patterns
Instead of sticking to just one motif, using a variety of patterns will take your living room interior design to the next level. Stack uniquely patterned pillows on top of eachother to add a visual punch to your sofa, or sprinkle pillows with different patterns throughout the room for a more balanced look. Choosing patterns with a similar color scheme or with more simple designs will create a more classic and harmonious look. If you’d like a more eclectic and funky look, you can layer different patterns such as animal prints or bright designs on top of each other.
- Dip dye – This sophisticated take on tie dye is fun, trendy, and pairs effortlessly with a wide range of patterns and design motifs.
- Floral print – Floral prints add a fun and colorful pop in any season.
- Stripes – Classic, summery and nautical, striped pillows are versatile and easy to mix and match.
- Polka dots – Timeless and adorable polka dots are another example of a pattern that looks great in a wide variety of styles and settings.
- Geometric shapes – Bohemian geometric designs can create the illusion of texture, making them a fun way to add depth to your decor.
- Animal print – If your style leans towards the wild side, consider adding a cheetah print or zebra stripe pillow to your pile.
Pick a statement pillow (or several)
Some pillows are so pretty that they look like you could frame them and put them on the wall. These puffy pieces of art are the perfect pieces to elevate your living space. Choose a pillow or two that features elaborate embroidery designs, sequins, or tassels and more to take center stage in your pillow arrangement, and add a few more neutral pillows behind your statement piece.
Choose pillows with a sense of humor
If your style is more sassy and sweet than sophisticated and chic, there are plenty of pillows out there to let your playful personality shine through in your living room decor. Look for pillows screen printed with witty quips and quotes or that feature cuddly cartoon characters or illustrations that will make you smile.
Position your pillows strategically
How you present your pillows can be just as important as choosing the pillows themselves. Different numbers and arrangements can create very different moods. For a more classical and organized look, display an even number of pillows in a symmetric way throughout your living room. Create harmony by arranging the largest pillows on the outside with the smallest sized pillows in the center of your couch.
For a more relaxed and creative vibe, arrange an odd number of pillows asymmetrically throughout the room. Consider putting your pillows in little piles where guests can enjoy checking out the different colors and textures you’ve put together but also feel welcome to rearrange them to get comfy.
By incorporating these design tips into your living room with pillows, you’ll be sure to add a touch of unique style and personality to your home!
Shop decorative pillows at the mercantile
The Mercantile has tons of different styles of pillows to choose from so you can add that personal touch to your home. Shop with us in person or online!